Fronter is 100% web based and will run on all devices that can launch a modern web browser with support for W3C standards, although some functionality may not be fully supported by all browsers and operating systems.
Fronter browser support
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Safari (for Mac OS X)
For Internet Explorer this means currently IE11.
As for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, these browsers are now automatically upgraded frequently. We support the latest stable channel release, and we also aim to at least support the two latest versions since some schools may have restrictions in place that does not allow for automatic updates, and therefore not push new releases out to their users at the same pace as the browser manufactures release them.
Whenever possible, we highly recommend installing new versions of browsers as they become available.
Specifically for mobile tablet devices, Fronter supports:
- Safari on iOS devices
- Google Chrome on Android devices
Settings in the browser
Important settings in the browser are:
- Allow pop-up windows from *.fronter.com (or your respective Fronter domain)
- Enable cookies from *.fronter.com (or your respective Fronter domain)
- Switch off compatibility view in Internet Explorer
- Additionally for Internet Explorer under Security:
- Download Signed ActiveX controls – Enable
- Run ActiveX and plugins – Enable
- Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting – Enable
- Display mixed content – Enable
Additionally, to view various contents you or others may have uploaded into Fronter, you may need appropriate browser plugins, for example Flash or Quicktime. Fronter itself does not require any such plugins however.
Java based tools
Fronter used to have a few tools based on Java. Within the last months, all of them except one were replaced with new functionality. Now only one tool in Fronter is left that requires Java plug-in in order to run: The sound recorder (you can find it in Resources and in Assignments).
We recommend always running the latest Java available. Please note that we do not provide support on the Java VM.
Please note also that Apple’s iOS has no support for Java.
As a workaround you can use recording functionality on your device and upload to Fronter.
Accessibility and screen readers
We actively test with and support the following browser and screen reader combinations:
- IE + Jaws (latest stable)
- Firefox + NVDA
- Safari + VoiceOver
Read more about this here: